Alice Hughes Antique Signed Photo of Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood
Fine antique photograph of Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897- 1965), signed by Alice Mary Hughes (1857–1939), a leading Society London portrait photographer
Princess Mary was a member of the British Royal Family; she was the third child and only daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. was born at York Cottage on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, England. Her parents were the then Duke and Duchess of York. Her father was the eldest surviving son of the then Prince and Princess of Wales.
During World War I, Princess Mary visited hospitals and welfare organizations with her mother; assisting with projects to give comfort to British servicemen and assistance to their families. One of these projects was Princess Mary's Christmas Gift Fund, through which £100,000 worth of gifts was sent to all British soldiers and sailors for Christmas, 1914. This initiative was revived in 2005 by the charity uk4u-Thanks!. She took an active role in promoting the Girl Guide movement.
On 28 February 1922, Princess Mary married Viscount Lascelles, the elder son of the then Earl of Harewood, and Lady Florence Bridgeman, daughter of Orlando Bridgeman, 3rd Earl of Bradford of Weston Park. Their wedding at Westminster Abbey was the first royal occasion in which the future Queen.
After her husband's death in 1947, the Princess Royal lived at Harewood House with her elder son and his family. She became the chancellor of the University of Leeds in 1951, and continued to carry out official duties at home and abroad. She attended the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in June 1953 and later represented the Queen at the independence celebrations of Trinidad and Tobago in 1962, and Zambia in 1964. One of her last official engagements was to represent the Queen at the funeral of Queen Louise of Sweden in early March 1965.
Hughes was the eldest daughter of the portrait painter Edward Robert Hughes. After studying photography at the London Polytechnic she opened a studio in 1891 next to her father's in Gower Street, London which she operated until December 1910.
In her day, she was a leading photographer of royalty, fashionable women and children producing elegant platinotype prints. During her most successful periods, she employed up to 60 women and took up to 15 sittings a day. In 1914, for a short period before the First World War, she ran a business in Berlin but returned to London at the beginning of the war, opening a studio in Ebury Street in 1915. The Ebury Street studio was not as successful as her first business and she closed it in 1933.
Size: 19.5 12 cm approx