Mandelieu Golf Club 5 Antique Photos 1891 Opening Cannes - Oldest Golf Course on the Côte d'Azur
Five antique photo of guests at opoening of The Cannes Golf Club now known as The Mandelieu Golf Club in France in 1891. It is the oldest in the Alpes-Maritime, created in 1891 by Grand Duke Michael Mikhailovich (1861-1929), and modelled on St Andrews Golf Course in Scotland. In the very first photo among the guests on the right hand side, British newspaper proprietor, Edward Levy-Lawson, 1st Baron Burnham (1833-1916), can be seen.
Grand Duke Michael and his wife Countess Sophie von Merenberg, Countess Torby, learned how to play golf at North Berwick, a famous Scottish seaside resort on the Fife Coast. They were fascinated by this new game but also by the natural beauty of the different courses. Back on the Riviera, he bought a piece of land near Cannes and built a course there. For the 1892/1893 season, the Cannes Golf Club opened the 9 hole Old Course. For a few years, the couple only spent the winter there but by 1899, they decided to settle there for a longer period.
Very quickly, this winter paradise became the rendezvous of European aristocracy. The Prince of Wales future King Edward VII, passionate about golf came to play.
In 1905, Pierre Lafitte published an article in his magazine Life in Grand Air: "Golf de Cannes is one of the most delightful sports corners of France ... Here it is mild in January and February. The sun does not cook too much and, under the blue of the sky, the promenade of the golfers is delicious. They come from all countries. French, Americans and English meet every morning on the links, and fraternize in the love of the same sport ."
Largest Size: 8.5 x 12 cm approx