Rear Admiral Sir John Fleming Signed Football Menu Hotel Bristol Vienna Austria 1925 St John's College Cambridge
Fine original autograph of Rear Admiral Sir John Fleming (1904-1994), signed in pencil on a Menu featuring a footballer for a Dinner held at the Hotel Bristol in Vienna, Austria, dated 16th April 1925. Fleming was a member of the presitigious Eagles Club, Hawks Club, and St John's College Football Asscoaiation University of Cambridge. The menu has also been signed by other members of the English squad on the back.
Fleming was a member of Eisenhower's meteorological team whose forecasts were crucial to the success of the D-Day Landings in June 1944. After gaining his degree from Cambridge he enlisted in the Royal Navy as an Instructor Lieutenant in 1926. He joined the Naval Meteorological Service in 1940, however his duties involved more than just weather forecasts as the Fleet Met Officer on HMS Duke of York, which provided the raw information on which Admiral Fraser based his decisions during the Battle of the North Cape.
Cambridge University Association Football Club is an amateur football club representing the University of Cambridge. University publications seem to indicate that the club was founded in either 1856 or 1857, unofficially making it the oldest club in the world.
The city of Cambridge has long been synonymous with footballing history; in 1846, the ‘Cambridge Rules’ of football were drawn up by university footballers from several public schools, laying the foundations for football as we know it today.
Cambridge University provided almost fifty England internationals in the early years of the twentieth century, and its contribution to the national game was acknowledged when it was given a seat on the Football Association Council – something it still holds today.
Collegiate football helped spread the game in the 1870s, and the first competition for these teams was held in 1882–1883. The format was a knockout tournament based on the FA Challenge Cup, which had been created in 1871. The first entrants included nine colleges (Caius, St. John's, Clare, St. Catharine's, Pembroke, Sidney, Jesus, King's and Trinity Hall) and three old boys sides (Old Harrovians, Trinity Etonians and Trinity Rest).
Size: 18 x 10 cm approx